Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hernia update

Met with a new surgeon yesterday (Dr. Siegman) regarding the hernias. Surgery is currently scheduled for October 16, but I may change that to October 20 later today.

Unfortunately it has to be the traditional "open" type of surgery (i.e. non laparoscopic) because if they used laparosocpic for the hernia repair they can't use the da Vinci gizmo for the prostate removal. That means I'll be off my feet the first week, and a total of four to six weeks to recover.

Since this puts the da Vinci procedure about four weeks out from the hernia surgery, we rescheduled the da Vinci procedure from Nov 17 to Jan 19. Prostate cancer spreads very slowly and there is no risk in putting off the procedure until Jan 19.

I didn't want to be in perpetual recovery for two months, I didn't want to miss Homestead and I didn't want to be gimped up for the holidays. In fact, the urologist (Dr. Baker) thinks it's a good idea - allowing me to heal up from the hernia surgery before he does his thing.

No comments: