Thursday, September 25, 2008

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

FUD. This has always been a marketing term to me. Now it's a reality.

Fear: Learning that I have cancer is scariest thing that's ever happened to me. Cancer kills people. This isn't something that can be put off and it will not get better in a week or two with bed rest. I have cancer! Don't tell me about how prostate cancer is very curable. The only cancer that kills more men is lung cancer. More men will wind up with prostate cancer than women with breast cancer. Prostate cancer can be seriously deadly stuff.

Uncertainty: Is there anything more uncertain than having cancer? Which doctor is best for me? Which treatment option is best for me? Will I be wearing a diaper the rest of my life? Will I no longer be able to have sex in a natural manner?

Doubt: I'm not a doctor, but I will have many doctors who all are very knowledgeable, all offering different advice. How the hell am I supposed to pick the right doctor/procedure? I'm not trained or well versed in this field. I'm a computer programmer. Been one almost 30 years. I have a friend who reads about some new language that's supposed to make developing an application super easy and super quick. He even has examples of such success. I advise against it, but he hires a team to do it anyway. Long story short, it was a disaster. Why? Because you can't take a few examples of success in a field you do not have a deep understanding of without the risk of making serious errors. Same here - I do not have a deep understanding of cancer research. I cannot simply "read" about it and be sure that I'm making the right choice. Lots of doubt...

No comments: