Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ripples

I was sitting outside on the patio this morning enjoying a beautiful September Florida morning. Temps in the low 70's, a slight breeze, bright blue sky, birds chirping and squirrels running this way and that. Considering we've been having mornings in the upper 80's with 90+% humidity, it's more than a welcome change.

While I'm sitting there, I notice something fall from the top of the screen enclosure into the pool. I tend to notice, and be entertained by things many people never seem to take note of. For example, I really enjoy watching cream being poured into a hot cup of coffee. I have a special clear coffee mug just for this purpose. Depending on how and where you pour that cream into the coffee, the result is entirely different, yet predictable. Besides, it looks really cool. I also like to watch it rain. I can't explain why, but I find it relaxing and enjoyable. There is detail in rainfall. No matter how hard it's raining, you can watch one spot on the ground for many, many minutes and never see one drop of rain hit that exact spot. It'll land all around that spot, but not the spot you're watching - until you look at one of those adjacent spots, then it hits!

I'm watching this object fall and start to think about how random its fall seems to be, yet I know that there are mathematical equations that can clearly define everything I'm seeing as "random" - which I think is pretty darn cool. I don't understand those equations, but I know they exist and that there are folks who do understand them. Good enough for me.

I run out of time and the object hits the water. It does just what you would expect it to do - produce ripples. An event happened at that point on the water surface, and now the result of that event is being imparted on everything around it, in all directions. It occurs to me that this is an analog of my prostate cancer. Yes, "I" have prostate cancer, but, the effects of this event are touching everyone around me, some in unexpected and profound ways.

My wife has been terrific in this process. She has never shown any sign of "weakness", always "strong" and positive. But think about - it has to be scarring the crap out of her too. If it were me, I know I'd be scared !@#$less. My daughters - both broke down in tears upon hearing the news. Steph is 27 and Allison 16, but neither should have to carry that kind of burden at that young an age.

I am blessed to be from a large family - seven sisters (no brothers, I'm third in line). Yea, I know. Different story for a different time. We are all still quite close and keep in touch on a semi-regular basis. Thanksgiving is always at our house and Christmas Eve dinner/gathering is always at Val's house. If nothing else, we always see each other those two times a year.

Most are taking the news well, and all are wonderfully supportive. My parents are being great, but I can hear the crying in Mom's voice when she calls pretending to be strong. One sister isn't taking this news so well. Her and I were closet growing up, so it's understandable. If the shoes were on the proverbial other foot, I'm sure I'd be reacting the same way. Probably worse. I also have many friends and there has been an outpouring of support from them as well. Neighbors too. Anne and I have often said that even if we were to win the lottery, we'd still live right where we are now because of how great our neighbors are. We all know and watch out for each other. You can't buy good neighbors.

It's only been a few days now, but I can't help but notice, and be oddly entertained at how the ripples from this event are reaching out and touching the lives of others... I am truly blessed.

No comments: